Discovering the Jones Falls
— Powering America's Industrial Revolution —
The Jones Falls also powered Baltimore’s textile industry. One of America’s first textile mills began operating on the Jones Falls at Mount Washington in 1810. Thirty years later, mills along the Jones Falls produced more than 80 percent of the cotton duck (sail cloth) in the country. The advent of steam power in the 1820’s freed industry from the stream valleys, allowing canneries and foundries to spring up close to the harbor. By the late
Like all urban waterways, the lower Jones Falls became polluted from decades of industrial use. Meanwhile, periodic flooding caused significant damage. Baltimore officials responded by making the stream “disappear.” In 1914, they piped the Jones Falls underground and, in 1917, built the Fallsway, a two-mile long street, within the streambed. More than fifty years later, the Jones Falls Expressway (I-83) was built over the former stream. Today, environmental groups, government, and neighborhood associations are working to restore the health of the Jones Falls and its surroundings.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 39° 17.202′ N, 76° 36.33′ W. Marker is in Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Pratt Street just west of Falls Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore Riot Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Exodus 1947: "The ship That Launched a Nation" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Candler Building (about 400 feet away, measured in
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 531 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on March 20, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.