Near Cherokee in Swain County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cherokee Indian Reservation / (Leaving) Cherokee Reservation
Cherokee Indian Reservation. Established by United States for the Eastern Band of Cherokee after the removal of 1838.
(Leaving) Cherokee Reservation. Established by United States for the Eastern Band of Cherokee after the removal of 1838.
Erected 1938 by North Carolina Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number Q-14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 35° 27.516′ N, 83° 22.012′ W. Marker is near Cherokee, North Carolina, in Swain County. Marker is on Ela Road (U.S. 19), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cherokee NC 28719, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kituwah (approx. 2.4 miles away); Thomas's Legion (approx. 2˝ miles away); William H. Thomas (approx. 2.6 miles Yonaguska (approx. 2.8 miles away); William Holland Thomas (approx. 3.1 miles away); Oconaluftee Indian Village (approx. 3.2 miles away); Nimrod Jarrett Smith (approx. 3.2 miles away); Cherokee Veterans Park (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cherokee.
Additional keywords. genocide; forced removal
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 10,499 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on February 28, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on October 20, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.