Westlake in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Weston House / Sandstone Houses
The Weston House. This rare sandstone house was built for Austin (c. 1788-1848) and Roxanna (Sears) Lilly (c. 1793-1868). They came to Dover Township (now Westlake) in 1832 from Ashfield, Massachusetts, an area from which many Dover settlers originated. This lot had been owned by Ozias and Hiram Smith. The Lillys erected this house in about 1844 and lived here until 1867. It is made with sandstone blocks two feet thick, finely tooled and dressed in the front and less elaborately on the sides and rear. The basement is constructed with massive rectangular stone blocks. Thick hewn timbers support the massive roof structure. A brick wing was attached to the east side in about 1850. After 1867, the lot and house had several owners, including George Weston, James Beardsley, and August Trudel. Eventually, Alice (Mrs. Dezso) Ladanyi, the great granddaughter of George Weston, deeded the house to the city of Westlake for use as a museum.
Sandstone Houses. The sandstone used to construct this house, which displays the skill and craftsmanship of early Ohio builders, came from a local quarry, probably near Porter Road. Sandstone
Erected 2005 by Westlake Historical Society, The Ladanyi Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 83-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 41° 26.699′ N, 81° 55.905′ W. Marker is in Westlake, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Center Ridge Road. Next to the Center Ridge Road Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27946 Center Ridge Road, Westlake OH 44145, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jack Miner (approx. half a mile away); Leverett Johnson / Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Theodore Elijah Burton / Dover Farm (approx. 2 miles away); First Universalist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Coe Ridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Oxcart Library (approx. 2.3 miles away); North Olmsted Veterans Plaza (approx. 2.3 miles away); Astronaut Robert Franklyn Overmyer (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westlake.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,770 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2010, by Lysa Stanton of Westlake, Us. 5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2008, by Kate McNeece of Fairview Park, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.