Fairport in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Potter Property
The Potter Property
From Private Estate to public amenity.
Fred Potter. Spencer Philbrick's original Italianate mansion. Fred Potter and his chauffeur on West Church Street. The Potter Mansion.
In 1858, Spencer Philbrick constructed a large and elegant Italianate house and carriage barn at 53 West Church Street. The property extended from Church Street to Lewis Street, and was surrounded by a picket fence.
The Potter family moved into the house in 1872. Mrs. Hulda Potter oversaw significant renovations in the mansion, removing the Italianate tower and trim and adding a shingle-style third story with balconies and space for a ballroom, a front porch, and a port-cochere.
Their son, Fred Potter, lived in the house until his death in 1943. He bequeathed $50,000, the house, the carriage barn, and the land to the Village of Fairport. It has served as a community center and a playground since 1944.
Erected by Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor & Fairport Office of Community & Economic Development.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 43° 5.91′ N, 77° 26.771′ W. Marker is in Fairport, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West Church Street (New York State Route 31F) and Potter Place, on the left when traveling west on West Church Street. At Potter Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53 West Church Street, Fairport NY 14450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners (approx. ¼ mile away); Erie Canal Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); Fairport Village Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Erie Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); De Land Chemical Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairport.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.