Its official opening on April 28, 1926, by Governor John W. Martin climaxed thirteen years of planning and working.
Florida is indebted to Captain J.F. Jaudon, whose faith and persistence kept the project alive; to the intrepid trail blazers, whose trip by car across the trackless Everglades in 1923 dramatized the need for the highway’s completion; to Baron G. Collier, for his unstinting aid, and to others whose time, energies and talents made this tremendous feat possible.
Erected 1958 by The Historical Association of Southern Florida.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 25° 54.59′ N, 81° 21.824′ W. Marker is near Everglades City, Florida, in Collier County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and County Road 29 on U.S. 41. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Everglades City FL 34139, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers
Additional keywords. Dade County, unpaved
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Daniel Eisenberg of Boca Raton, Florida. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 29, 2018, by Daniel Eisenberg of Boca Raton, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?