Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Charles Timberman operated a pharmacy with Richard Gibson, known as Gibson & Timberman, at 824 King Street until 1904, when their partnership was dissolved. He then moved to Philadelphia to accept a position with a drug firm in that city. He died in 1917 and was buried in Alexandria.
John Timberman took the state examination to become a pharmacist in 1895, and soon after took a position at a drug store located at King and North Washington Streets, owned and operated by Ernest L. Allen. After Dr. Allen's death in 1906, he took over the proprietorship. The pharmacy, pictured here in the 1920's, was known as Timberman's Drug Store. Although
Although the handsome 19th century structure was demolished in 1954 to make way for a more modest two story structure, the "ghost" of its roofline can still be seen on the east side of the building at 703 King Street.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
Location. 38° 48.299′ N, 77° 2.81′ W. Marker is in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and South Washington Street (Virginia Route 400), on the right when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 622 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee-Fendall House (a few steps from this marker); The Alexandria Lyceum (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Memorial Parkway (within shouting distance of this marker); Retail in Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington in Alexandria (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.