Garden City in Glasscock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Glasscock County Courthouse and Jail
On May 9, 1893, a little over one month from the date of Glasscock County's formal organization, the first county commissioner's court issued bonds to erect a combination courthouse/jail building. L. T. Noyes of Houston, with the assistance of plasterer William T. Lovell, completed the structure on February 12, 1894. Originally, the ground floor of the building was used for court sessions and the second floor used as the jail. The 2-story stone building, later used only as a jail, features subtle Classical influences, including corner pilasters and a tall corbelled cornice.
County bonds issued through the First State Bank of Garden City in 1909 were used to employ Mutual Construction Company, Inc. of Louisville, Kentucky, and architects Edward C. Hasford & Co., of Dallas, to build a new courthouse. The 2 1/2 story Classical Revival structure, constructed of 3-foot thick native stone from a local ranch owned by Steve Calverley, was completed on August 27, 1910. It features colossal Doric columns supporting its open pediment and a horizontal belt course which follows its 2nd floor window sills.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks – 1962
Erected 1964 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2188.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 51.834′ N, 101° 28.825′ W. Marker is in Garden City, Texas, in Glasscock County. Marker is on East Currie Street (State Highway 158) east of Main Street (Ranch to Market Road 33), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the sidewalk, at the Glasscock County Courthouse East Currie Street entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 East Currie Street, Garden City TX 79739, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glasscock County (here, next to this marker); Garden City Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Regarding Glasscock County Courthouse and Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks (1962)
National Register of Historic Places
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Glasscock County, Texas
Also see . . .
1. Glasscock County Courthouse - Garden City.
Built in 1909, Glasscock's Classical Revival style courthouse is built of stone and surrounded with columned porticoes. Designed by architects Edward C. Hansford & Company, the courthouse is located at the intersection of Texas 158 and FM 33.Exterior preservation included removal of non-historic windows, fabrication and installation of new wood windows, restoration of iron bars and steel bars, and repointing exterior masonry. (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Glasscock County Courthouse.
Building Completion Date: 1909
Architect: Edward Columbus Hosford
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Building Materials/Description: Small 2 story building, solidly built of stone quarried from nearby hills, with walls that are over three feet thick. Original pressed metal ceiling under acoustical tile throughout Wood paneling added to interior walls. Elevator added in 1994. (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Glasscock County Courthouse.
(This link presents historical photographs of both the courthouse and jail.) (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.