Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Eldorado in Schleicher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Schleicher County Courthouse

 
 
Schleicher County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. Schleicher County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  

Constructed in 1923-24, this courthouse replaced an earlier building on this site which burned in 1917. Designed by noted architect Henry T. Phelps of San Antonio, the 3-story Classical Revival structure features four half-round giant order Doric columns which support a large entablature with a simply detailed parapet. Native stone for the building was obtained from nearby quarries. The courthouse has been the site of numerous community events over the years.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4406.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureMan-Made Features.
 
Location. 30° 51.601′ N, 100° 35.992′ W. Marker is in Eldorado, Texas, in Schleicher County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Murchison Avenue (U.S. 190) and N. Divide Street (U.S. 277), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located next to the southwest entrance to the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eldorado TX 76936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Schleicher County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. Schleicher County Courthouse
The southwest elevation of the courthouse with the marker seen to the right of the entrance.
8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bev McCormick (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Gustav Schleicher (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church of Eldorado (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Eldorado (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Texas Woolen Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schleicher County (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of Verand (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eldorado.
 
Schleicher County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, November 28, 2019
3. Schleicher County Courthouse Marker
The northwest elevation of the Schleicher County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
4. The northwest elevation of the Schleicher County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3. submitted on December 1, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas.   4. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 7, 2020