Orange County and the Civil War
Shortly after the voters of Orange County and Texas approved secession in 1861, three military companies were raised in the county for Confederate service-- The Orange Light Guard, The Orange Greys, and Hannah's Company. Additional forces, including the Orange County Coast Guard and several companies of state troops, were later raised for local defense.
Orange County, ten miles south of the Niblett's Bluff location of C. S. A. Camp Pleasant in Louisiana, was part of an important route for Confederate forces and supplies. A C.S.A. post office was located at Orange in 1861. The Texas and New Orleans Railroad was opened through the county, though various problems rendered it unserviceable through much of the war.
Rumors of a Federal attack on the coast in 1863 prompted stepped-up defense preparations. A primary supply depot was established in July to serve nearby Camp Pleasant, and a Confederate hospital opened in Orange. Local preparedness provided an additional deterrent to U. S. troops at the Battle of Sabine Pass in September.
After the Confederate surrender in 1865, occupation forces led by the 37th Illinois Volunteers
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11506.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 5.391′ N, 93° 44.205′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Division Street near 7th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 West Division Street, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orange County (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Sketch of Orange County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jimmy Ochiltree Sims Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orange Dairy Company (about 600 feet away); William Henry Stark (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Jacob Lutcher (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located on the Orange County Courthouse grounds
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2018.