Jacksonport in Jackson County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Jacksonport in the Civil War
At various times Jacksonport was headquarters for such noted military leaders as Frederick Steele, Earl Van Dorn, John S. Marmaduke, Dandridge McRae and Jo Shelby.
Erected 1965 by the Arkansas Civil War Centennial Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 35° 38.381′ N, 91° 18.642′ W. Marker is in Jacksonport, Arkansas, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from Avenue Street west of Dillard Street, on the right when traveling west. Located within Jacksonport State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Avenue Street, Newport AR 72112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Surrender at Jacksonport Jackson County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shelling of Jacksonport (about 700 feet away); Jackson County First Court House (approx. 2.9 miles away).
1. Markers temporarily removed.
The historical and interpretive markers between the old Jackson County Courthouse and the Visitors Center (under construction) have been temporarily removed to safeguard them. They should be reinstalled soon.
— Submitted April 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the marker, when replaced, and a wide area photo of the marker in context. • Can you help?