United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility
The facility was named the U.S. Naval Station, Orange, Texas, in November of 1945. The first vessel to report for inactivation was the USS Matagorda, which arrived on November 5. When the Korean War began in 1950, the facility reactivated over thirty ships, after which many were returned for storage. The facility
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15073.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Military • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 5.66′ N, 93° 43.576′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Simmons Drive (Business U.S. 90) near West Elm Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange (here, next to this marker); Weaver Shipbuilding (here, next to this marker); U.S.S. Aulick (here, next to this marker); Levingston Shipbuilding Company (here, next to this marker); Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel CorporationThe Orange Leader (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Harmon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located at the terminus of West Elm Avenue.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018.