Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga

Mission of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit of Zuniga

 
 
Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 7, 2019
1. Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga Marker
Inscription.  

Founded in 1722 by the Aguayo Expedition on "La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" (the Bay of the Holy Spirit), present Lavaca Bay. This mission reflects its former site in the popular name, "La Bahia". Its formal name (in part) honored Baltasar de Zuniga, Viceroy of New Spain.

Because of threats from the French and the Indians, Spain founded this mission and its auxiliary fort, Presidio Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia (now ¼ mi. SE) to defend its territory and convert the natives.

Difficulties, however, caused both to be moved, in only four years, to the Guadalupe River, and again in 1749 to this site, on the San Antonio River.

At its peak of success the mission possessed huge herds of cattle and supplied settlements in Mexico, as well as missions in present Texas.

In 1758 about 180 persons resided at the mission and fort. All about were Indian "jacales", crude clay-plastered brush huts thatched with grass. Spacious grazing lands and fertile fields surrounded the area, where colonists had formed a small community.

After a general decline caused the mission to be secularized in 1830,
Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 7, 2019
2. Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga Marker
Rear of the marker is visible beneath the tree to the left of the walkway. Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga marker is visible at the right of the walkway.
it fell into ruin. In 1932, this land was deeded to the state by Goliad County. The mission complex was partially restored, 1936-1939.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3408.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era.
 
Location. 28° 39.419′ N, 97° 23.221′ W. Marker is near Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker can be reached from Park Road 6 0.2 miles west of South Jefferson Street (U.S. 183). Marker is located in Goliad State Park just in front of the entrance to the Mission grounds. It is directly across from and facing the marker "Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga". Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Park Road 6, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (here, next to this marker); Cattle Drive from La Bahia (within shouting distance of this marker); Aranama College (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goliad Memorial Auditorium
Mission La Bahia, Near Goliad, Texas Built in 1749 image. Click for full size.
Postcard published by Curtteich, 1935
3. Mission La Bahia, Near Goliad, Texas Built in 1749
(approx. ¼ mile away); Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía (approx. 0.7 miles away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (approx. 0.7 miles away); Regulators of Goliad County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
 
Also see . . .  Goliad State Park & Historic Site (Texas State Parks). (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.)
 
Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 7, 2019
4. Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.   3. submitted on April 17, 2018.   4. submitted on March 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 8, 2020