Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
First Congregational Church
On July 4, 1833, Main Street’s first house of “publick worship” was dedicated here on Meetinghouse Hill. Several denominations shared the English Gothic church, and it was a famed forum for abolition and temperance causes. The Reverends Lyman and Henry Ward Beecher spoke from its pulpit. Two spires replaced the original square belfry in 1874, their asymmetry and textured surfaces reveal Queen Anne influences that are echoed in the 1882 Parish House. The interior is graced with an 1881 Hook & Hastings organ and fifteen stained glass windows donated by parishioners in 1902.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1833.
Location. 44° 18.451′ N, 71° 46.641′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 302) and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is mounted Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 189 West Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Littleton Diner (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 500 feet away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Littleton War Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Curran Suspension Bridge (about 700 feet away); A Legendary Landmark (about 800 feet away); Host to History (about 800 feet away); Thayer's White Mountain Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.