Waterbury in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Fortified House Of Ensign Stanley
The Fortified House of Ensign Stanley
Into Which the Colonists Fled
From Unfriendly Indians
Which Was Repeatedly Occupied By
Detachments of Revolutionary War Soldiers
The Academy, 1784.
Our Troops Listened to the Reading
Of The Declaration of Independence
July 9, 1776.
That Hung On Previous Buildings On This Site.
This Site and Its Environs Have Also Served
The City of Waterbury as the Previous Location
Of City Hall, the Bronson Library
The Police Station and the
Fire Headquarters in the Late 1800s
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles.
Location. 41° 33.365′ N, 73° 2.523′ W. Marker is in Waterbury, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Main Street and Leavenworth Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 W Main Street, Waterbury CT 06702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. POW / MIA Soldiers from Waterbury (within shouting distance of this marker); Waterbury Veteran’s Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); UNICO National (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fitzgerald Kennedy (about 300 feet away); Present Settlement of Waterbury (about 400 feet away); Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary Route (about 400 feet away); Enoch Hibbard House (about 500 feet away); Waterbury Soldiers' Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.