Near Lonoke in Lonoke County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Little Rock Campaign - Brownsville
Confederates Fight to Stop Union Advance
“... The enemy's lines, extending across the prairie, could be plainly seen advancing, supported by a large body of cavalry with artillery, and when within about 200 yards of our lines Major Elliot...opened fire upon them, which was immediately returned, and the charge sounded by the bugles of the enemy brought their columns sweeping across the prairie and down upon our retiring column like a whirlwind...Captain Bledsoe let slip with shell and shot...checking up their furious onslaught and driving them out of range as rapidly as they had come."
Lt. Col. B. Frank Gordon
Missouri Cavalry, C.S.A.
-Col. Washington F. Geiger
8th Missouri Cavalry, U.S.A.
Erected by the American Battlefield Protection Program, National Park Service, Department of the Interior, the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. (Marker Number 1.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is August 25, 1863.
Location. 34° 48.92′ N, 91° 52.772′ W. Marker is near Lonoke, Arkansas, in Lonoke County. Marker is at the intersection of Arkansas Route 31 and Flynt Lane, on the right when traveling north on State Route 31. Located at Brownsville Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lonoke AR 72086, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Brownsville (here, next to this marker); Hicks' Station in the Civil War (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lonoke County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lonoke Landmarks (approx. 2.4 miles away); Senator Joe T. Robinson A Gun for All Reasons (approx. 2.4 miles away); William H. Fuller (approx. 7.8 miles away); Action at Ashley's Station (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lonoke.
Regarding The Little Rock Campaign - Brownsville. During August, Confederate cavalry had repeatedly engaged the advance cavalry of Steele's army under Brig. Gen. John W. Davidson east of Little Rock, considerably delaying Union progress. In one six-day period Davidson only advanced eighteen miles in the face of the stubborn Rebel defenders. On August 25, 1863 on the prairie east of Brownsville Marmaduke's outnumbered Confederate troopers battled Davidson's cavalry Confederate forces fell back through Brownsville, then having a population of 2,500, to a position west of the town late in the day. About 0.3 miles north on Highway 31 on the right (across the highway from the Brownsville Assembly of God Church) is a marker indicating the 1863 site of the Prairie County Courthouse. The old military road between Little Rock and Memphis passed through Brownsville at this point, running southeast to Two Prairie Bayou and west to Reed's Bridge, little evidence remains today of this road.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photograph of the Prairie County Courthouse historical marker, on East Watson Road, at corner with AR-31, per comments above. • Can you help?