Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial
Was first publicly read in
Albany by order of the
Committee of Safety
July 19, 1776 in front of this
City Hall, then on this site.
This memorial of the event
was placed here by the
Erected 1876 by Citizens of Albany, New York.
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is July 19, 1776.
Location. 42° 38.89′ N, 73° 45.024′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Broadway (New York State Route 5) north of Hudson Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is a large memorial stone located beside the sidewalk, on the grounds of the SUNY Administration Plaza Park and the former Delaware & Hudson Railroad building. The memorial stone, and the explanatory marker beside it, are both lying flat on the grass near the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 353 Broadway, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerSUNY Plaza (here, next to this marker); Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years (here, next to this marker); Second Albany City Hall (a few steps from this marker); Site of First Poor House in the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Hudson (within shouting distance of this marker); Building A Place to Live (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State (about 600 feet away); Fort Orange (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
More about this memorial. This marker consists of two parts: (1) the original 1876 Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial Stone, (the engraving on which is no longer legible), and (2) the newer metal plaque, (mounted on a granite tile), which is adjacent to the memorial stone and presents the text of original. The original memorial stone is protected by a short, wrought-iron, fence-like border placed around it.
Also see . . .
1. The Declaration of Independence in Albany.
At the time of the Revolutionary War, Albany’s city hall – or Stadt Huys – stood here along Broadway across from the foot of modern Hudson Avenue. During the Revolution, it was the meeting place of the Albany Committee of Correspondence, Safety, and Protection. In July 1776, in the days immediately following its approval in Philadelphia, copies of the Declaration of Independence were distributed to and read before the public in major cities throughout the rebelling Colonies. The Declaration was read to the public here from the steps of the Stadt Huys on July 19. (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Independence Day Memorial Plaque.
Almost hidden in the greenery in front of University Plaza is a low railing. The iron spikes enclose a white marble plaque. The marker (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.