Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries British warships, transports and supply ships came and went in Gros Islet Bay and were refitted and resupplied at Pigeon Island.
Barrels were the containers of the day. They were used to transport fresh water from St. Lucia, and also for anything that needed to be packed and stowed away. This meant that a cooper had to be on hand to make barrels.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 14° 5.533′ N, 60° 57.817′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. This marker is at the Pigeon Island National Landmark, on the path along the beach area near the C.O.'s Quarters. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C.O.'s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Lime Kiln (within shouting distance of this marker); Gunslide (about 150 meters away, measured Soldiers' Quarters (about 180 meters away); Josset's House (about 210 meters away); Officers' Kitchen (about 210 meters away); Two-Gun Battery (about 210 meters away); Officers' Quarters and Mess (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.