Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Philo Webster and Webster Graveyard

 
 
Philo Webster Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 26, 2018
1. Philo Webster Marker
Inscription.  Philologus Webster was born in Stonington, Connecticut in 1759. He was the son of Captain John and Rhonda Lewis Webster and the great great grandson of Connecticut Colony Governor John Webster. At the age of 18, Philo served in the Revolutionary War in the Connecticut militia, in Colonel Hooker’s regiment, under Captain Asa Bray. In 1812 he came to Ohio accompanied by his wife Sarah and sons Peter, John and Harvey. When he died in 1821, he was buried on his family farm.

An 1872 map shows the Webster graveyard north of the ravine and to the east of the turnpike (High Street). In addition to Philo Webster, among those buried here were Dan Case, Rodney Cooke, John Buck, and Jordan Ingram. In 1904 the “Old Northwest” Genealogical Quarterly reported 39 headstones in this cemetery - also known as Cooke Cemetery.

In 1910 Clinton Township Trustee C.E. Webster made arrangements for the graveyard to be relocated. Philo Webster, his wife, Sarah, their son John, his wife Lydia and John and Lydia’s son Oliver were moved to Green Lawn Cemetery. Peter Webster, his wife Lydia Sperry, Rodney Cooke and his wife Laura and

Philo Webster Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 26, 2018
2. Philo Webster Marker
full view, looking north
16 others were moved to Union Cemetery. Elihu Webster, his wife Nancy and their sons Edward and Marlin were moved to Walnut Grove Cemetery.
 
Erected 2016 by Clintonville Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 40° 2.846′ N, 83° 1.202′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and Indian Springs Dr., on the right when traveling north on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4202 N High St, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bill Moose (here, next to this marker); Rand P. Hollenback (approx. 0.4 miles away); Beechwold Pillars (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clintonville / Clinton Township (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clinton Theater / Memory Lane (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Charity Newsies (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Philo Webster Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 26, 2018
3. Philo Webster Marker
looking south, from Indian Run Dr.
Philo Webster Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 26, 2018
4. Philo Webster Marker
1872 map of area, fits description in text
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 5, 2020