Near Bunker Hill in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Col. Morgan Morgan
Granted to him by colonial Virginia patent, and in recognition of the sterling character of the said Morgan and family who by their efforts and example, were largely useful in the community of which he was the founder and had great influence for good upon the early history of the territory now constituting this State.
His grave (marked) is nearby, adjacent Christ’s Episcopal Church formerly called Morgan’s Chapel, the oldest church in this State, which he helped organize and build.
Commissioners: Ephram F. Morgan, Governor of W. Va. • Harry P. Henshaw, State Senator • Mrs. Blanche M. Pickering • Haze Morgan.
Erected 1926 by Col. Morgan Morgan Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era • Notable Events. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1804.
Location. 39° 20.115′ N, 78° 3.184′ W. Marker is near Bunker Hill, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Winchester Pike (U.S. 11) just north of Old Mill Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9641 Winchester Ave, Bunker Hill WV 25413, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Morgan Chapel (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Christ Church (approx. ¼ mile away); James Johnston Pettigrew Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.4 miles away); Darkesville (approx. 2.7 miles away); Morgan Cabin (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cool Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bunker Hill.
More about this marker. Wales is a country in Great Britain, part of the United Kingdom.
There is a parking area behind the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 6,387 times since then and 166 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3. submitted on September 28, 2009, by Heather Neill of Gainesville, Florida. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of his grave • Photo of Morgan’s Chapel, if it is still standing • Photos of the restored Morgan’s Cabin and other photos of the museum nearby • Can you help?