Vint Hill Farms in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Buckland Mills Battle
On the morning of October 19, 1863, two cavalry commands occupied this ground in succession. Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his men held it from about 10 A.M. until noon before withdrawing west along the Warrenton Turnpike as Union Gen. George A. Custer’s cavalry brigade approached from your left. Custer occupied this position while Gen. Henry E. Davies’s brigade passed, lured west by Stuart.
Early in the afternoon, as Custer’s men rested in the then-open
The Confederates lost about 50 men, the Federals about 260, mostly prisoners. Stuart termed the rout, his last victory over cavalry, “the most complete that any cavalry … suffered during this war.” Custer called the day “the most disastrous this division ever passed through.”
(Sidebar): Founded in 1797, Buckland became a thriving community with two mills, a large distillery, and several taverns. The Warrenton-Alexandria Turnpike and a pest-resistant strain of wheat developed here added to the town’s prosperity. During the war, the turnpike bridge became a military objective. On August 27, 1862, during the Second Manassas campaign, Union Gen. Robert Milroy’s brigade, marching toward Gainesville, found the Broad Run bridge on fire and Confederate cavalry with one piece of artillery on the opposite side. Milroy’s cavalry detachment drove them off. The men quickly repaired the bridge so that parts of Union Gen.
(center) Custer (on left with arms folded) watches his guns fire on Buckland from Cerro Gordo. Alfred R. Waud drawing, “Buckland from Mr. Hunton's House” – Courtesy Library of Congress
(lower left) Battle of Buckland Mills map between portraits of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee< and Gen. George A. Custer Courtesy Library of Congress
(sidebar) Buckland Mills. Edwin Forbes drawing, “Crossing at Broad Run” -Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected 2009 by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 46.634′ N, 77° 40.898′ W. Marker is in Vint Hill Farms, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Vint Hill Road (Virginia Route 215) and Lee Highway (U.S. 15/29), on the right when traveling north on Vint Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6274 Vint Hill Road, Warrenton VA 20187, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buckland (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Buckland Mills (approx. one mile away); Second Manassas Campaign (approx. 2.1 miles away); Vint Hill Farms Station (approx. 2.4 miles away); “Greenwich” (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Greenwich (approx. 2.6 miles away); Stony Lonesome Farm (approx. 2.6 miles away); Second Battle of Manassas (approx. 2.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker has been moved from its original location at 16211 Lee Highway (38.77993, -77.67468).
Also see . . . The Buckland Love Museum. (Submitted on October 31, 2019.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Buckland Mills Battle.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2009. This page has been viewed 3,121 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on May 2, 2018, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2009. 3. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 8, 2009. 7. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.