Wallisville in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz
Señora de la Luz
Established in 1757 by Franciscan
the purpose of civilizing and
Christianizing the Orcoquiza
and Bidai Indians
Abandoned in 1772
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 9127.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
Location. 29° 50.303′ N, 94° 44.175′ W. Marker is in Wallisville, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Feeder Road to Interstate 10, 0.3 miles west of Wallisville Liberty Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker may be visible from Interstate-10 but is best viewed from the eastbound feeder road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20136 I-10, Wallisville TX 77597, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de AhumadaJoseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Site of Old Wallisville (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Emily Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 5 miles away); Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lone Star Canal (approx. 5½ miles away); Events at Anahuac Leading to the Texas Revolution (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallisville.
Also see . . . Nuestra Señora de la Luz Mission - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.