Berkeley Springs in Morgan County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Washington Heritage Trail
Dr. Samuel Crawford was accused of poisoning and lynched in 1876. He was buried at the Dutch Cemetery and his ghost was reportedly seen standing over his grave in 1888.
In 1995, the Foxglove Garden Club restored the cemetery and dedicated three Revolutionary War soldiers' graves: Solomon Smith, Frederick Duckwall and Frederick Duckwall Jr.
The brick building perched on the hill overlooking the cemetery was originally constructed as Bath District High School in 1918 on the grounds of Mt. Wesley Academy. The Italianate Victorian that shares the hill to the south was built by Dr. John Hunter for his family in 1875.
The southeast side of the busy intersection was part of the original town plat and included three lots. Daniel of St. Thomas Jennifer,
The English Tudor stone structure northwest from the cemetery was built in 1939 after razing the 19th century summer cottage of Warner Washington. The grounds encompass three lots, one of which was purchased in the original land by Samuel Washington.
The square facing the cemetery to the north contained four lots in the original town plat; one was owned by George Washington's cousin, Henry Whiting. The entire square was assembled in 1872 by Judge John Wright — a Lincoln appointee to the U.S. Court of Appeals — as the site for his Italianate Wisteria Cottage. Although the cottage remains, the land was subdivided in 1907. The westernmost bungalow was built in 1913; the other in 1920.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the West Virginia, Washington Heritage Trail series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 Warren Street, Berkeley Springs WV 25411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Town of Bath Lots One and Two (here, next to this marker); Capt. John Swann (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Services Building (within shouting distance of this marker); William Weathers (within shouting distance of this marker); John Barns (within shouting distance of this marker); John Smith and John Philpot (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Lloyd (about 400 feet away); John Ridout (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.