Stephenville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Erath Arches were constructed in honor of soldier, surveyor, and legislator George B. Erath (1813-1891), for whom Erath County was named in 1856. The monument was one of many built around the state to celebrate the 1936 centennial of Texas independence. Local architect C.V. Head designed the memorial, and Dublin rock mason Arthur Maxwell constructed it of native field stone. The memorial was threatened with demolition in the 1960s because of the necessity to widen Erath and Washington streets, but public outcry saved it. Instead the two separate pieces were hoisted by crane and resituated at an angle, allowing modern automobiles to pass between them.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15792.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events. A significant historical year for this entry is 1936.
Location. 32° 13.138′ N, 98° 12.346′ W. Marker is in Stephenville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street (Business U.S. 377) and North Erath Avenue, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 W Washington St, Stephenville TX 76401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of George Bernhard Erath (here, next to this marker); First Methodist Church of Stephenville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephenville Masonic Lodge No. 267 (about 800 feet away); Stephenville Drug Stores (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crow Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erath County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stephenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.