Newark in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erie Canal hamlet on this
site incorporated in 1839
as village of Arcadia.
Joined Newark in 1853.
Row buildings of the period.
Erected 2016 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 323.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal, and the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series lists.
Location. 43° 2.669′ N, 77° 4.801′ W. Marker is in Newark, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Vienna Street and East Union Street (New York State Route 31), on the right when traveling north on Vienna Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Vienna Street, Newark NY 14513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lockville Locks in Newark (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mora Motor Car (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Those from This Community Arcadia War Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Joseph Miller (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rear Admiral Leslie E. Gehres (approx. 1½ miles away); The Fox Sisters (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Birthplace of Modern Spiritualism (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.