Royal Borough of Greenwich in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Greenwich Meridian Marker, 1750-1851
This pillar was built in 1798 to help astronomers align the Observatory's meridian telescope in the building behind you. This telescope defined what was then the Greenwich Meridian established in 1750 and was kept accurately positioned by sighting a metal marker on the top of the pillar. In 1851 George Airy, 7th Astronomer Royal, installed a new telescope and moved the Greenwich Meridian a little to the east, to its current position. Between 1920 and 1950 this pillar was used as a support for a night-sky camera.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 51° 28.684′ N, 0° 0.093′ W. Marker is in Royal Borough of Greenwich, England, in Greater London County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Blackheath Avenue and Great Cross Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Located at the Royal Observatory Greenwich. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Royal Borough of Greenwich, England SE10 8XJ, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ordnance Survey Bench Mark (a few steps from this marker); The Shepherd 24-hour Gate Clock (a few steps from this marker); Family Tombstone of Edmund Halley (a few steps from this marker); Bradley’s meridian line (a few steps from this marker); Airy’s meridian line (a few steps from this marker); Time for everyone (a few steps from this marker); The Greenwich Meridian Telescope (a few steps from this marker); Dedication Plaque of Flamsteed House (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Also see . . . Royal Observatory, Greenwich on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.