Old City Hall
— Downtown Lowell Historic District —
Lowell's Greek Revival style "Town House" originally had a large meeting hall upstairs. Town meetings ended in 1836 when Lowell became a city but the meeting hall continued in public use including a speech by Illinois Congressman Abraham Lincoln in 1848. The first City library in the nation opened here in 1845. The current City Hall opened in 1893 and by 1896, the building was sold and privately remodeled. Rehabilitated in 1987, the exterior reflects the building's 1896 Colonial Revival appearance.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 42° 38.743′ N, 71° 18.712′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Merrimack Street and Shattuck Street, on the right when traveling east on Merrimack Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 Merrimack Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.