Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Clyde & Grace Warwick
Iowa natives Grace Winkleman (1890-1973) and Clyde Warwick (1885-1957) came to Canyon City in 1908 and 1910, respectively, marrying in 1911. Clyde was editor of The Canyon News for 45 years, receiving state and national awards. He was also a state representative and school board member, helped form the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, and was president of the Panhandle Press Association. Grace was in the first graduating class of West Texas Normal College, Superintendent of Dimmitt Schools, and charter member of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society. She wrote many columns and articles for the News, and her book The Randall County Story (1969) remains a seminal work in local history.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16920.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Communications • Women.
Location. 34° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 5th Avenue, Canyon TX 79015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Canyon News" (here, next to this marker); The Smith Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Randall County World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Randall County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Randall County (about 400 feet away); First National Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Neblett Hospital and Clinic (about 400 feet away); Presbyterian Church Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Also see . . .
1. Canyon, Texas. In 1910 the Santa Fe's Llano Estacado line connected Canyon City with Floydada. West Texas State Normal College (now West Texas A&M University) opened on a forty-acre site, but classes were held in the courthouse until the completion of the college's first building in 1911. That year the town was renamed Canyon. By 1915 the population was 1,500, and industries included two banks, grain elevators, a tannery, and the twenty-five-room Palace Hotel. The Ford Motor Company established Canyon's first automobile dealership in 1919, and in 1920 (Submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Clyde Warwick: Legislative Reference Library of Texas. This link presents the Texas legislative biography and photographs of Clyde Warwick. (Submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. About The Randall County news. (Canyon City, Tex.) 1908-1926. Attorney George A. Brandon bought the Canyon City Stayer in 1903, when the town boasted a mere 500 residents. Later described by resident Grace W. Warwick as someone who "could foresee the possibilities of greatness in the small community," Brandon used the newspaper to champion Randall County and help transform Canyon City into a vibrant frontier town. (Submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. About Canyon City news. (Canyon City, Tex.) 1903-1908. Later renamed the Canyon News and edited by Clyde W. Warwick for over forty years, the News continued to focus on the betterment of Randall County. The July 1939 "Historical Edition" summarized the paper's commitment to its community, stating, "The News has always tried to be on the battle line for the improvements of this county and is proud of the record it has made." (Submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.