San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
has been designated a
under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the history of the United States
Erected 1970 by U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. (Marker Number 53.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Hispanic Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the National Historic Landmarks series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 32° 45.252′ N, 117° 11.815′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of San Diego Avenue and Mason Street. Marker is located within Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Diego CA 92110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At La Casa de Estudillo (a few steps from this marker); First Raising of U.S. Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); First San Diego Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); La Casa de Rodriguez (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan Bandini (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa de Pedrorena de Altamirano (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason Street School (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of the San Diego Union (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
More about this marker. This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No.53):
Three generations of Don José María Estudillo's family made their home in Casa de Estudillo. Rich in historical background, the casa is often pointed out, erroneously, as Ramona's marriage place.
Regarding Estudillo House. Construction of the most famous Old Town adobe began in 1827 and was completed in 1829 by Captain Jose Maria de Estudillo, commander of the San Diego presidio. When he died in 1830, the house passed to his son, Jose Antonio Estudillo, who served as revenue collector, treasurer, alcalde, and judge of San Diego under Mexican rule and later treasurer and assessor of San Diego County under American rule. He married Maria Victoria Dominguez and their family lived there until 1887. The original adobe home was restored in 1910 with funds provided by the Spreckels family, under the direction of Architect Hazel Waterman; it was donated to the State by Mr. Legler Benbough;
Source: San Diego Historical Society, Old Town San Diego, Casa de Estudillo
Also see . . . San Diego History: Journal of San Diego History - Una Casa del Pueblo. (Submitted on September 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,600 times since then and 183 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on October 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 7. submitted on September 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 8. submitted on December 23, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California.