Bon Marche Building
1874 - 1927
— Downtown Lowell Historic District —
Before suburban shopping malls began springing up in the mid-20th century, downtown anchor department stores like the Bon Marche sold almost every product a family needed. This store consisted of four interconnected buildings built in various Victorian styles fronting on Merrimack and Kirk streets. In 1950, Jack Kerouac held a book signing here launching his first novel, The Town and the City. A Jordan Marsh department store operated here until 1991 and the complex was rehabilitated in 1995.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Location. 42° 38.751′ N, 71° 18.635′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Merrimack Street and Palmer Street, on the left when traveling west on Merrimack Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143-155 Merrimack Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Middlesex Safe Deposit and Trust Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Wetherbee, Kelly, Rose, Maynard, and Ward Houses (within
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Remembering Downtown Lowell’s Bon Marché through the Years, 1878-1976 (Owen). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Bon Marche Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.