Near Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson Crossroads / Dr. Peter A. Wilson
At this point the Camden-Mars Bluff road intersected the road to Darlington on property granted to the Reverend John Wilson (1790-1869) by the state of South Carolina in 1837. Wilson, a North Carolinian, settled here, and after his death his grandson, Dr. Peter A. Wilson, lived on a portion of the land and practiced medicine.
Dr. Peter A. Wilson
Peter Wilson (1846-1913) was born in Darlington County and served in the Confederate Army. He graduated from Washington University School of Medicine in Maryland (1869) and upon the death of his grandfather, the Reverend John Wilson, settled near here and practiced medicine. Dr. Wilson is buried in High Hills Baptist Church Cemetery, about one mile north of here.
Erected 1979 by The Dr. Henry Woodward Chapter S.C. State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 16-19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In Daughters of the American Colonists series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 13.405′ N, 79° 53.851′ W. Marker was near Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker was at the intersection of Timmonsville Highway (State Highway 340) and Hoffmeyer Road on Timmonsville Highway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Pisgah Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ebenezer Church (approx. 4 miles away); Attempted Ambush (approx. 4.2 miles away); Gold Star Family Monument (approx. 4˝ miles away); Purple Heart Recipients (approx. 4˝ miles away); United States Army Monument (approx. 4˝ miles away); Florence Veterans Park (approx. 4˝ miles away); Desert Storm (approx. 4˝ miles away).
More about this marker. As of April 2017, this marker is missing, only the post is present. The marker was broken by mowing equipment. According to Brian Gandy of the the Darlington Historical Commission an insurance claim is being sought but replacement is unknown at this time.
Also see . . . Carelessness taking a toll on Darlington County's historical markers. SCNOW Morning News (Submitted on May 30, 2018.)
As of August 2018, the marker has been replaced with a new one.
— Submitted September 28, 2018, by David Taylor of Darlington,
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on May 28, 2018, by David Taylor of Darlington, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the marker that replaced this marker • Can you help?