— Downtown Lowell Historic District —
When Palmer Street was created in 1889, new lots along the street were quickly built upon including this corner building, designed in the Queen Anne style popular for Lowell commercial buildings in the 1880s and 1890s. Originally five stories in height, the top three floors were removed during the Great Depression in order to reduce property taxes. After a fire gutted the building in 1991, it was at risk for demolition until being rehabilitated in 1993.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 42° 38.701′ N, 71° 18.635′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Palmer Street and Middle Street, on the left when traveling south on Palmer Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 Palmer Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Institute Building (a few steps from this marker); Central Fire Station (a few steps from this marker); Simpson and Rowland Building
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.