Simpson and Rowland Building
— Downtown Lowell Historic District —
Middle Street's smaller residential buildings built in the 1830s and 1840s were rapidly replaced by four and five story commercial and light-industrial buildings like this one during the 1880s and 1890s. Wholesale grocers Simpson and Rowland operated here until 1929. Other early occupants included John McAskie, maker of tents, awnings, sails, and horse covers as well as Charles Robinson, a printer, all reflecting this street's transition from residential to commercial use in the late 19th century.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 42° 38.7′ N, 71° 18.599′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Middle Street west of Central Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82-88 Middle Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pollard Exchange (a few steps from this marker); Institute Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McCarthy Building
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.