Downtown Lowell Historic District
Middle Street was first developed in the 1830s and 1840s as a residential street, then largely redeveloped in the 1880s and 1890s with four and five story commercial and light-industrial buildings like this one. Originally known as the Parker Block, it was designed in the Neoclassical Revival style by local architect Frederick Stickney who also designed the Pollard Memorial Library (1893) on Merrimack Street. In 1897, the Lowell Textile School opened here, a predecessor of the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 42° 38.708′ N, 71° 18.588′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Middle Street west of Central Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55-67 Middle Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Simpson and Rowland Building (a few steps from this marker); Davis Block (within shouting distance of
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.