J.C. Ayer & Company Laboratory
Downtown Lowell Historic District
This Italianate style building along with one to the rear on Middle Street was home to one of Lowell's largest patent medicine companies, J.C. Ayer & Company. A major Lowell industry, patent medicine companies like Ayer served national markets and were pioneers in mass advertising. Founded in the 1840s, the company headquartered here from 1859 until 1917. Later occupants included a Studebaker Motor Car dealership, union offices, and an electrical supply company. Rehabilitation in 2004 converted the upper floors into residences.
Erected 2016 by City of Lowell and Lowell Historic Board.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 42° 38.683′ N, 71° 18.725′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Palmer Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167-189 Market Street, Lowell MA 01852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowell Gas Light Building (within shouting distance of this marker); W.A. Mack Building
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Lowell Historic District. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lowell measures buildings in 'stories' (Lowell Sun, 2016). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. J.C. Ayer & Co. of Lowell, Mass (extract from Lowell Courier, 1878). (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.