Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Juan H. Fernandez y Hermano Building
- 1883 -
Built in 1883-1884 for Juan H. Fernandez, who came from Spain in 1875 to work for his uncle and older brother, the site was a general merchandise store. The store, La Villa de Llanes, was founded by Fernandez and his younger brother. The building contains an open air atrium, courtyard and a carriage house. The spacious second floor was used as the family living quarters.
Construido 1883-1884 para Juan H. Fernandez, quien emigro de Espana en 1875 para trabajar con su tío y su hermano mayor, era originalmente una tienda general. La tienda, llamada La Villa de Llanes, fue fundada por Fernandez y su hermano menor. El edificio tiene un atrio al aire libre, un patio y una cochera. El amplio Segundo piso era la residencia familiar.>
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 25° 54.133′ N, 97° 29.808′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1220 E Adams St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Juan H. Fernandez Store (here, next to this marker); Public Market and Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Manautou Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Pierre Yves Keralum (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Catedral del la Inmaculada Concepcion (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series
Also see . . . Casa Juan H. Fernández y Hermano, Brownsville, 1884. In Brownsville, the most imposing example of the Matamoros merchant’s house type was built in stages by an immigrant Spanish merchant, Juan H. Fernández, beginning in 1884. The emergence in the 1860s of this regional architectural vernacular, the Border Brick style, based on northeastern Mexican spatial practices but modified by New Orleanian Creole construction and decorative practices... (Submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.