“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Kees Park

Kees Park Marker image. Click for full size.
May 20, 2018
1. Kees Park Marker
Edward J. Barrett, an Irishman who was a soldier in the Federal Army of Occupation which was billeted in Pineville for two years after the conclusion of the Civil War, chose to remain and in 1868 married a local girl, Mary Reagan. He was later elected to the Louisiana State Legislature and served on the Rapides Parish School Board, Police Jury, Pineville Town Council and as Mayor of the Town of Pineville. On May 15, 1920, Barrett gave the land which includes this Park to Right Reverend Cornelius Van de Ven, Bishop of Alexandria, for use by the Roman Catholic Church. A small monastery and church was built, and the area was named Grace Park. Bishop Van de Ven and several priests were buried in Grace Park. The Most Reverend Charles P. Greco sold the land to Central Louisiana Electric Company on August 10, 1951, and the mission and cemetery were subsequently moved. The City was permitted to use the land from 1952 until it was donated by CLECO to the City on June 2, 1959. The Park was renamed May 6, 1952, in honor of William "Billy" Ezra Kees, Sr. who was born June 11, 1881, as the son of Jesse M. and Nannie Cooper Kees. Billy Kees married Julia
Kees Park Marker image. Click for full size.
May 20, 2018
2. Kees Park Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Elizabeth "Doll" Bradford in 1905, and he was appointed postmaster in 1911, when the post office was located in the Kees General Store on Red River. He was active in various civic, educational and church affairs in Pineville and died April 14, 1938.
Erected by Stafford G. Kees Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 14, 1938.
Location. 31° 19.991′ N, 92° 24.833′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Highway 28 and Hembling Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2450 Highway 28 East, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Cavanaugh Hall of Science (approx. 0.9 miles away); Alexandria Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Donahue Ferry Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Honor and Memory of Louisiana College Students (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Alexandria Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Louisiana College (approx. 0.9 miles away); Governor Jimmie Davis (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
More about this marker. Located inside the park.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2018.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Apr. 1, 2023