Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of The Odessa Sanitarium
By March 1890 the project had failed. Dr. Haughton moved to Midland. The building became a haven for migrant families. A portion was used as a church.
When Ector County was created in January 1891, the sanitarium was moved several blocks and became the first Ector County Courthouse.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4898.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 31° 50.807′ N, 102° 22.119′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on North Grant Avenue (US 385), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 North Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Ector County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); General Matthew D. Ector (within shouting distance of this marker); Ector County Land Rush (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of The Dawson Saloon (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.