Sarita in Kenedy County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created April 2, 1921
out of Cameron, Willacy
and Hildago Counties
Named for Capt. Mifflin Kenedy
1818 — 1895
Sent to Texas 1846 on
United States Army supply boats
Commercial Navigator of the
Rio Grande 1848-1860
Sarita is the County Seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 2923.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 27° 13.339′ N, 97° 47.505′ W. Marker is in Sarita, Texas, in Kenedy County. Marker is on Mallory Street north of East La Parra Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in the center of the east courthouse access walkway, near Mallory Street, on the Kenedy County Courthouse grounds, directly west of the Mallory Street courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 Mallory Street, Sarita TX 78385, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other Riviera - 1687 (here, next to this marker); Kenedy County Courthouse Construction (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Sarita (within shouting distance of this marker); 1766 Exploration of Diego Ortiz Parilla (approx. 9.3 miles away); U.S. Army March to Rio Grande, 1846 (approx. 9.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, polished, pink granite pedestal. Marker text is engraved on the front, and the Texas State Highway 1936 "Centennial Star" is engraved on the top of the pedestal.
Also see . . .
1. Kenedy County, Texas. Among the oldest artifacts found in the county are stone implements and human remains dating from the Paleo-Indian period (9200 to 6000 B.C.). Though occasional Spanish expeditions crossed the area during the early eighteenth century, the region remained uninhabited by Europeans until the late colonial period. Between the mid-1740s and the early 1750s José de Escandón made several excursions to the lower Rio Grande valley and introduced settlers to the area. (Submitted on May 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Kenedy County, Texas. In 1999, Hurricane Bret struck the county, but damage was minimal because of the low population. The Peñascal Wind Power Project was built near Sarita in the early 21st Century and is expected to slightly raise the population of the area. The King Ranch, of which Mifflin Kenedy had been a partner prior to 1868, covers a large part of the county. (Submitted on May 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Mifflin Kenedy. In 1882, Kenedy bought 400,000 acres in Cameron (later Kenedy) County and named it La Parra Ranch after the wild grapevines growing there. He also fenced La Parra, using posts imported from Louisiana. At that same time he organized the Kenedy Pasture Company. Having been successful in steamboating, trading, and ranching, Kenedy in 1876 entered the field of railroad construction to help Uriah Lott build the Corpus Christi, San Diego and Rio Grande line from Corpus Christi to Laredo. (Submitted on May 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.