Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain Enrique Villarreal and Rincón del Oso Land Grant
A soldier, colonist, Indian fighter, and explorer, Captain Enrique Villarreal at one time held title to most of the land that now constitutes Nueces County. The Rincón del Oso land grant, encompassing approximately 44,000 acres, was awarded to Villarreal by the Mexican government in 1831, although he had been using it as ranch land since 1810. Trouble with raiding Indians forced him off the land until peace was made in 1824.
As an officer in the Mexican Army, Enrique Villarreal participated in the Mexican War for Independence, the Texas War for Independence, and the U.S.-Mexican War. He was made commander of the troops at Fort Lipantitlan in 1830.
When Henry Lawrence Kinney established his trading post at the site of what is now the city of Corpus Christi, he did so on land that was part of Villarreal's Rincón del Oso grant. In 1841 the two men met, and Kinney purchased one "sitio" of Villarreal's land the following year. Kinney came to own all of the Rincon del Oso Grant after Villarreal's death in 1846.
Captain Enrique Villarreal's significance to local history lies in his position as original title holder
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6338.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, Mexican-American • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 27° 47.749′ N, 97° 24.228′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker can be reached from Leopard Street (State Highway 407) east of North Alameda Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the east entrance to the Corpus Christi City Hall building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Leopard St, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Lawrence Kinney (a few steps from this marker); Site of Cheston L. Heath School (approx. ¼ mile away); LULAC (approx. ¼ mile away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Corpus Christi Cathedral (approx. half a mile away); Thomas S. Parker (approx. half a mile away); Corpus Christi Cathedral Site (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Also see . . .
1. Enrique Villarreal. In 1834 (Submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of land grants in Texas. The earliest grant was made by the Spanish crown to establish a mission and presidio in East Texas in 1716. In 1731 town lots in San Antonio de Béxar were granted to Canary Islanders, and by the mid-1700s larger livestock grants were being made along the San Antonio River valley. Despite the granting of large areas of land, the number of inhabitants of the region remained small. In an effort to populate the area, (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.