St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cassina Garden Club Houses
These houses were slave cabins on the Gascoigne Bluff section of Hamilton Plantation which was developed in 1793 by James Hamilton into one of the largest estates on St. Simons Island.
Eventually this Gascoigne Bluff area was given to Glynn County for a park honoring the first naval site in America. These cabins were given to the Cassina Garden Club in 1931 for preservation purposes.
Erected 1965 by Cassina Garden Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 10.26′ N, 81° 24.446′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Arthur J. Moore Drive north of Hamilton Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gascoigne Bluff (about 500 feet away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth PioneersHamilton Plantation (about 500 feet away); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (about 500 feet away); Epworth-By-The-Sea (about 600 feet away); Lovely Lane Chapel (about 700 feet away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Cassina Garden Club Houses. The foundation of the plantation system was made up of those at the bottom of the social hierarchy - the slaves. The cultivation of sea island cotton was labor intensive, and the planters were often outnumbered by their black charges as much as twenty to one. The slaves lived in cabins made of wood or tabby that were often duplexes large enough to accommodate two families.
The use of tabby had been discontinued in Georgia after 1762 until its revitalization by the coastal planters. Thomas Spalding, influenced by the ruins of Frederica, reintroduced tabby in 1805 with the construction of his home on Sapelo Island. Other planters followed his example, and tabby construction in the home of both master and slave thrived until the Civil War.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,359 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.