San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spanish Governor's Palace
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the history of The United States
U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service
Erected 1970 by U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles.
Location. 29° 25.491′ N, 98° 29.744′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Plaza De Armas south of West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level, on the subject building, just left of the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Plaza De Armas, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moses Austin (within shouting distance of this marker); Bexar County Under Nine Governments Barbed Wire (within shouting distance of this marker); Zero Milestone Old Spanish Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza de Armas (about 300 feet away); Jose Francisco Ruiz (about 300 feet away); Still on Patrol (about 500 feet away); O. Henry House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Presidio San Antonio de Béjar
Also see . . .
1. Spanish Governor's Palace / The Comandancia.
The Comandancia has stood on the west side of Plaza de Armas in the center of San Antonio, since the 1730s. At times the structure has been called the “Casa del Capitan,” indicating it was the residence of the captain of the San Antonio de Béxar Presidio, and in its more recent history, the “Spanish Governor’s Palace.” During the Comandancia’s first 200 years, seven generations of two prominent Tejano families owned the house. It is the only example of Spanish Colonial residential architecture remaining in Texas. (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Spanish Governor's Palace.
Today, the only building that still stands of the Presidio San Antonio Bexar is the Spanish Governor’s Palace. It is one of the oldest residential buildings still standing in Texas. The building is a long one-story, U-shaped stone structure covered in stucco that surrounds a traditional Spanish patio and courtyard. The building was likely finished around 1749, the date given on the keystone above the front entrance that bears the carved, double headed eagle from the coat-of-arms of Spanish King Ferdinand VI (or Hapsburg). (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Spanish Governor's Palace - San Antonio, Texas.
(This link presents interior and exterior photos of the Spanish Governor's Palace.)
Plans for the structure are known to have originated as early as 1722, when the Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo proposed the construction of the palace in a letter to the King of Spain. The presidio or fort of San Antonio de Bejar was moved to the present site of the city that same year to protect the nearby mission of San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo). (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Spanish Governor's Palace - History & Culture.
The Spanish Governor’s Palace was constructed in the early 18th century and restored in the 1930s. This National Historic Landmark represents the last visual (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.