San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ursuline Academy/Augusta Street Bridge
San Antonians had few places to educate their children before 1851 when Catholic Bishop Jean Marie Odin recruited members of the Order of St. Ursula to start a school for girls on the river at the northern edge of town. The school grew quickly, and new buildings were added to the walled compound. Local children and boarding students from as far away as Mexico studied language, science, philosophy, and the arts. Surrounded by downtown development, the school remained at this riverside site until 1961 when it moved to a suburban location. Efforts by the San Antonio Conservation Society saved the historic campus from demolition in the 1960s. Preservation and restoration work was continued by the Southwest Craft Center, now known as the Southwest School of Art, which acquired the entire site by 1981. Today the historic campus continues as a center of learning for students of all ages.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Churches & Religion • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 29° 25.817′ N, 98° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Rincon/Douglass School (within shouting distance of this marker); Navarro Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The San Antonio River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Travis Street Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Mark's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Houston Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Travis Park United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Military Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. Ursuline Academy, San Antonio.
Seven Ursuline Sisters from New Orleans and Galveston, headed by Sister St. Marie Trouard, arrived in San Antonio on September 14, 1851, to start a girls' school at Bishop Jean M. Odin's request. On November 3 Ursuline Academy opened classes. It was then the second oldest school in Texas. The original convent, built in 1851 on the San Antonio River at Augusta Street, is believed to be the oldest surviving example of pisé de terre work in Texas and is attributed to architect Jules Poinsard. (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Ursuline Academy.
Following Texas’ independence from Mexico in 1836, the Catholic Church in the Republic began to wane, so efforts were initiated to revitalize Catholicism. Bishop Odin and Sisters from the Ursuline Order of New Orleans established an academy in Galveston in 1847 to provide education and religious instruction for young girls. In 1848, Bishop Odin purchased 10 acres of land in San Antonio and construction began to establish a second academy. The building was not yet completed in 1851, when Father Claude Dubuis brought seven Ursuline nuns with him to operate the San Antonio school, but Ursuline Academy managed to open with a few short months. (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Lenticular Truss Bridges: A Peculiar Texas Heritage.
In the United States, lenticular trusses were almost exclusively built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut. Several of the Berlin Company’s bridges had decorative towers, including the Augusta Street Bridge in San Antonio. Although the company mostly did business in New England, they had one salesman in Texas. William Payson of Edna, Texas sold more than a dozen bridges for the Berlin Bridge Co., including several in San Antonio. Payson’s success was probably due more to his questionable tactics than to his bridges’ sound engineering. (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.