Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Forever Changed by War
Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
The first soldiers to march into Dallas were with the Federal "Army of the Tennessee" under Major General James B. McPherson. These soldiers marched northeast from around Pumpkinvine Creek Church beginning May 26th using Main Street. General McPherson made his headquarters at the Henderson House just east of the courthouse. The 15th Corps of McPherson's army, commanded by Major General John A. "Black Jack" Logan, made its headquarters
As the May 1864 battles of New Hope Church (25th), Pickett's Mill (27th) and Dallas (28th) raged many casualties from the opposing armies were brought into Dallas. The town experienced the harshness of war on the 28th when Confederate Major General William B. Bate's division probed General Logan's line and was repulsed with heavy losses.
After the Battle of Dallas, Union Major General William T. Sherman began moving his armies north and east toward Acworth and Kennesaw Mountain. When Confederate soldiers briefly re-occupied Dallas on May 30th they encountered many make-shift hospitals housing wounded soldiers. Ed Porter Thompson, a captain in General Bate's division, related the experience of an accompanying brigade were in Bate's division who "greeted by the painful spectacle of finding our wounded, some twenty or thirty, who, on the 28th, had penetrated the enemy's lines, and fallen into his hands, lying in hospitals and uncared for, some of them with limbs amputated, and undressed for two days, until, from neglect-the weather being warm-insects had found a lodgment in every wound. There were no attendants, and neither medicine nor provisions
One of these impromptu hospitals, Dallas's first schoolhouse, still stands off North Johnston Street four blocks north of the town's center. It was moved there from a nearby lot and has subsequently housed the Paulding County Museum. The scattered remains of trenches, campsites, battlefields and soldier's graves are still present today throughout the modern City of Dallas and Paulding County.
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1864.
Location. 33° 55.266′ N, 84° 50.376′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardee Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Hardee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hardee Street, Dallas GA 30132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paulding County (approx. 0.2 miles away); A. Lafayette Bartlett (approx. Ό mile away); Dallas - New Hope Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Orphan Brigade at Dallas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Davis' Div. at Dallas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Federal Line (approx. Armstrong's Advance (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Also see . . . The Battle of Dallas: “The Massacre of Noble Men”. (Submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.