San Elizario in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During its years as a part of Mexico, the Presidio of San Elceario (now San Elizario) was occupied periodically by Mexican troops. A reduced military presence resulted in the Fort's decline.
American control of the area began in 1848, with the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which established the Rio Grande as the border between the United States and Mexico. When the County of El Paso was organized in 1850, the town of San Elizario was chosen as the first county seat and served as such until 1873. In 1877 it was the scene of the crisis known as the Salt War, in which local businessmen attempted to control the salt market that had operated since colonial times.
Although San Elizario was bypassed by the railroad
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4531.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts or Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro series list.
Location. 31° 35.116′ N, 106° 16.382′ W. Marker is in San Elizario, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of San Elizario Road and Church Street. Marker is located at the San Elizario Memorial Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1521 San Elizario Road, San Elizario TX 79849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Elizario Memorial Plaza (here, next to this marker); Juan de Onate Expedition - 1598 (here, next to this marker); Espejo Beltran Expedition - 1582-1583 (here, next to this marker); The First Thanksgiving (here, next to this marker); Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581 (here, next to this marker); The Camino Real (here, next to this marker); Salt War (here, next to this marker); Los Portales (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Elizario.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on June 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on June 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on January 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.