Rodney in Jefferson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Old Rodney Presbyterian Church
Windsor - Battlefield Tour
During the Civil War, on September 13, 1863, a skirmish ocurred at the church. On that Sunday morning the Union gunboat "Rattler" had docked at Rodney. Rev. Baker, a northern sympathizer who was to preach that day, invited Captain Fentrese of the "Rattler" to attended Sunday morning services. The captain and eighteen of his crew attended Sunday morning services, but were captured by a small party of Confederate cavalry. When word of the prisoners reached the "Rattler”, the gunboat bombarded the town and church. Lt. Allen, Commander of the Confederates sent word that if the shelling did not stop, all prisoners would be hanged. Thus, town and church were spared. The church building still bears scars from this shelling. During the post war years, the population of Rodney declined, adversely affecting church membership. In 1923, the last fulltime pastor resigned leaving behind a congregation of sixteen. However, church services probably continued for several years. In 1966 the church property was conveyed to the United Daughters Confederacy for restoration for which the 1968 Mississippi, Legislature appropriated funds.
Topics. This historical Churches & Religion • War, US Civil.
Location. 31° 51.764′ N, 91° 11.998′ W. Marker is in Rodney, Mississippi, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Muddy Bayou Road north of Rodney Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorman MS 39096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Rodney Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Old Town of Rodney - Layout (a few steps from this marker); History of Rodney - Her Rise (a few steps from this marker); History of Rodney - Her Fall (a few steps from this marker); Old Town of Rodney - Structures (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Rush Nutt (1781-1837) (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town of Rodney (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Rodney to Bruinsburg Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rodney.
More about this marker. Located in front of the Rodney Presbyterian Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2018.