Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Forbes Britton (1812-1861), a Virginian and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy, came to Corpus Christi as an army captain in Mexican War, 1846. He returned as a civilian, and with his wife Rebecca (Millard) had this classical revival house built by the contractors Gravis, Berry and Yates, 1849-50. Britton ranched, was a partner in shipping firm of Britton, Mann and Yates, and helped form first company to obtain a deep water channel for the city. He served 1857-61 in the Texas senate. As Adjutant General, he was personal emissary of Governor Sam Houston to U.S. president Buchanan in 1860. His grave is in the state cemetery in Austin.
Left with servants during Civil War (a Confederate hospital in 1862), house became hospital and officers mess for Federal Army, 1866. It was citizens' refuge in raids of desperadoes and Indians while home of James and Janet Bryden, 1870-78. The family of George and Cornelia (Moore) Evans owned the property, 1880-1936.
Southern Minerals Corp., Maston Nixon, President, owned, restored and preserved the place, 1936-65.
Recognized as oldest existent structure in Corpus Christi,
Since 1965 it has been owned and preserved by the Corpus Christi area heritage society.
Erected 1966 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 780.)
Location. 27° 47.626′ N, 97° 23.789′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Upper Broadway south of Lipan Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, outside the fence, directly in front of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 North Upper Broadway, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corpus Christi Cathedral Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Corpus Christi Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Star Court of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broadway Bluff Improvement (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lone Star Fair (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Cheston L. Heath School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Regarding Centennial House.
Also see . . .
1. Centennial House.
Built on a bluff overlooking Corpus Christi Bay not quite 13 years after the fall of the Alamo, the two-story house has proven almost as enduring as the old Spanish mission in San Antonio. Centennial house has been place of safety during the periodic hurricanes that have battered the city, the worst of which were an unnamed storm in 1919 that claimed numerous lives and Hurricane Celia in 1970. The reason people sought the Centennial House in times of danger is because it had been solidly constructed of “shellcrete,” a mixture of lime, crushed seashells and water. Its thick walls had three layers of this coastal brick covered with a shell-based plaster. Too, it stood well above the portions of town subject to tidal surge in a severe hurricane. (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Historic Marker Application: Centennial House.
(Link to original historical marker application from 1966.) (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Inside the Centennial House.
(This link presents photos and information from inside the Centennial House.) Originally built by the Britton family in 1849, the Centennial House was home to several of Corpus Christi’s most influential residents including the Howells, (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Centennial House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.