Blessing in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Blessing Library Association
In the first years of the 20th century, Jonathan Pierce filed a deed with the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad (Southern Pacific) to lay out a town along the rail line at the junction of two major roads. He named the community Blessing, and a second rail company soon built additional tracks through town.
In 1912, concerned about the educational and cultural needs of the community, local women established the Blessing Library Association. Edna Woodruff served as the group's first president. Two years later, the association joined the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, assisting in the organization of the Matagorda County Federation of Women's Clubs in 1916.
In 1917, prominent rancher and businessman A.B. Pierce, son of the town founder, donated a former ranch building that had also served as an office and bank. The association converted it to library facilities. Under the direction of Pierce's wife, Adelaide, who also served as president of the county federation, the association funded construction of a community house in 1921. It became a social and cultural center for the town, and was the scene of
In the 1950s, the association reorganized as a non-profit charitable corporation, thus ending its longtime partnership with the women's club. The new group continued to offer the community house for events, meetings and services. In 1991, the facilities transferred to Matagorda County, which maintains the property as a social and activity center for Blessing-area residents.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13257.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Railroads & Streetcars • Women.
Location. 28° 52.318′ N, 96° 13.249′ W. Marker is in Blessing, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is on Avenue B (Farm to Market Road 616) west of Avenue A, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located directly in front of the Blessing Community Center building, beside the sidewalk, near the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 Avenue B (FM 616), Blessing TX 77419, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blessing State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Lodge #411St. Peter’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Deming’s Bridge Community (approx. 3.1 miles away); William Walter “Pudge” Heffelfinger (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hawley Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Grimes Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blessing.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.