Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
St. Paul Methodist Church
Organized in 1882 in a wood frame structure on the present site. In 1926, the original building was damaged in a storm. The present structure was built in 1930. The congregation provided food and shelter for Hattiesburg's flood victims in 1963 and 1974, and hosted Civil Rights meetings in the 1960s.
Erected 2002 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Civil Rights • Disasters. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 19.984′ N, 89° 17.678′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on East Fifth Street east of J D Randolph Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 East 5th Street, Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. East 6th Street USO Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eureka School (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Hattiesburg High School Roots of Rock and Roll (approx. 0.3 miles away); McLeod House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Forrest County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pittman Park (approx. half a mile away); Veterans of All Wars Monument (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2018.