Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built 1877-1890 for Manuel Alonso, the Alonso Building (Los Dos Cañones) has wrought iron railings and doors reminiscent of French Creole architecture. It was one of several buildings built by immigrants from Spain. The first floor served as a dry goods business and the second floor as a home for the family. It was restored by the Gorgas Science Foundation.
Construido de 1877-1890 para Manuel Alonso, el Edificio Alonso (Los Dos Cañones) tiene barandillas de hierro y puertas evocativas a la arquitectura criolla francesa. Este fue uno de los varios edificios construidos por inmigrantes españoles. Servía como mercería en el piso bajo y como residencia familiar en el segundo piso.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 25° 54.235′ N, 97° 30.239′ W. Marker is in Brownsville Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 E St Charles St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alonso Complex (a few steps from this marker); Russell/Cocke House (a few steps from this marker); Rock/Gomez House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock-Gomez Residence (about 400 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Sacred Heart Church (about 600 feet away); U.S. Federal Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.