Avery Island in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
This structure is known as the Ward Boathouse. Like Edward Avery Mclhenny, Charles Willis Ward (1856-1920) ran a plant nursery and was an avid conservationist. Around 1910, McIlhenny and Ward met, and with McIlhenny's permission Ward set up a hunting and fishing camp in Jungle Gardens. Ward brought along a 72-foot luxury motorboat, the Ethel M. Ward, for which McIlhenny built this boathouse. Together, the two men bought 54,000 acres of coastal marshland southwest of Avery Island. In 1911, they gave 13,000 acres of this land to the state of Louisiana as a waterfowl refuge The donation was called the Ward-McIlhenny State Wildlife Refuge, but is now simply known as State Wildlife Refuge. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 29° 54.573′ N, 91° 54.947′ W. Marker is in Avery Island, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on Jungle Garden Road near Avery Island Road/Main Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avery Island LA 70513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Buddah (about 400 feet away, measured Buddah (about 600 feet away); Sunken Gardens (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cleveland Oak (approx. ¼ mile away); Bird City (approx. ¼ mile away); McIlhenny (approx. ¼ mile away); Bamboo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bayou Petite Anse (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avery Island.
More about this marker. Stop 4 on Jungle Garden self driving tour.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2018.